How to set up a Symantec anti-virus server
The following guide will assist in the installation of a Symantec AntiVirus Server:
To Install a Symantec AntiVirus Server
- From Symantec AntiVirus media, open the SSC folder and run the Setup program.
- Under Select Components, select the components that you wish to to install.
- Uncheck Symantec Client Firewall Snap-In and Symantec End Point Compliance Snap-In. Click Next.
- Open Symantec System Center Console, located in Start > All Programs > Symantec System Center Console.
- In the Console Root Directory, expand Symantec System Center and click System Hierarchy.
- Click Tools > AntiVirus Server Rollout.
- Select Install Symantec AntiVirus Server.
- Under Select Items, select Server Program.
- Under Select Computers, select the server in the Network column that you are setting up and then click the Add button.
- Under Server Summary, click Next.
- Under Select Symantec AntiVirus Server Group, type the name of the server.
NOTE: If you are rebuilding an existing server, use the same name.
- Enter a username and password for the Symantec AntiVirus Server Group.
- At Server Startup Options, select Automatic Setup Progress.
- When the installation completes, close Symantec System Center and restart your computer.
Configure Symantec AntiVirus and set up your preferred settings.
To Configur a Symantec AntiVirus Server
- Expand System Hierarchy and right-click on the server group.
- Select Unlock Server Group. Enter username and password.
- Click on the Server listed under Groups.
NOTE: the yellow caution triangle on the server icon indicating that this server has out of date definition files.
- Right-click on the server icon and select Make Server a Primary Server.
- Right-click on the server icon and select All Tasks > Symantec AntiVirus > Virus Definition Manager.
- In the How Server Retrieves Virus Definition Updates section, click Configure.
- At Configure Primary Server Updates, click Schedule.
- Under Frequency, select Daily and choose the time that the server should check for updates.
- Click OK. At Configure Primary Server Updates, click the Update Now button. Depending on network conditions, updates may take several minutes.
- Click OK to exit, and then uncheck Do not allow clients to manually launch LiveUpdate.
- Click OK. Right-click on the server icon and select All Tasks > Symantec AntiVirus > Client Administrators Only Options.
- Place a check at Show Symantec Antivirus on desktop.
- Right-click on the server icon and select All Tasks > Symantec AntiVirus > Server Tuning Options.
- Place a check at allow this server to manage 9.x and earlier clients.
- Refresh Primary Server StatusThe yellow triangle on the server icon indicates that the definition files have not been updated yet. When the Primary Server Status icon has a blue triangle, the definition files are up-to-date.
- Restart computer and check Primary Server Status for up-to-date definition files.
1. Symantec System Center creates a shared folder on the server to install from in the format \\servername\SAV\CLT-INST\Win32.
NOTE: Be sure the server is accessible by not sitting behind any firewalls.
2. Run the setup program from within the folder. When installation completes, the client will appear as a manageable client in Symantec System Center Console.
Source: Trường Missouri State